Either shirt wasn’t working so well. So I decided to transfer the part I liked about one shirt to the shirt that seemed to be lacking something. It was simple, fast, and now one of my favorite shirts!!!
Step 1: Turn adult-sized dress inside out and lay a good-fitting dress/shirt of the child’s over the top. Line up the top of the shoulders and arms. Trace an outline. Sew and trim off the excess material from the underarm and bodice all the way down the sides of the dress. Here is a youtube tutorial of what I am talking about in step one if what I said doesn’t make sense.Step 2: Use a straight edge like a ruler to pull the fabric up and fold it over 1/2 inch or so depending on how large your shirt was to begin with. I had my daughter try this on two or three times during the process to make sure it would fit well. This step is important for a better fit around the neckline since we are going from it being an adult shirt (wider neckline) to a child neckline.Step 3: Flip the dress over to the back and do the same pleats on the back just like in step 2.
Check out this simple and easy fix to my shirt with a rip. As some of you know, I love fixing up clothes I find for stellar prices because they are damaged or simply mixing up what I have to get a new fresh look. You can do the same!
Just sew on something frilly overtop and don’t worry about fixing the hole underneath.
Some Stores sell brand new clothes for super clearance prices if there is ever a tear or button missing. This is great because if you know a few simple fix-up tips than those cute new shirts can be easily fixed up and only cost a fraction of the normal cost. I got these for $2.49 and $3.99!
With the polk dot shirt I didn’t have any snaps to replace the missing ones so I sewed 4-6 inches of the front bodice closed where the snaps were missing. I just pull it on overhead when I wear it instead of needing to unsnap and snap every snap. It actually makes it better not having to worry any snaps are gapping open…. ever. Yeah!
Check out this non Sewing Person’s Secret! I was able to fix this shirt I got discounted for $2, I kid you not, with a 1 minute sewing job.
I bought these to be maternity shorts for my last month. They look like normal jean shorts but are that super-super stretchy material which works great with a baby belly. The problem was I thought they were a good size at the store but when I got home and wore them a day they really stretched out and ended up being a size or two too big. Since I had already worn them I couldn’t take them back so I decided to re-craft them and sew them in a little!
To keep the inside seam looking the same, I just sewed a 1/2 inch flap in on the inside seam of the inner leg preserving the outside seam. Check out the pics after clicking “more” to see what I am talking about. It slimmed up the thigh part of the shorts while keeping the belly width. It is nothing too fancy but worked GREAT!!! Also, I don’t have to have that uncomfortable belly band attachment that typically comes with maternity shorts. Yay!!!
So, I was just about to put in a huge order of these shirts online in all different colors when the thought came to me that I can make these myself! I wear them all the time to make whatever I am wearing modest so I will have sleeves or if the neckline is too low. I love them. But, really if you think about it, it wouldn’t be that hard to make. So here goes… I used a white jersey flat bedding sheet I already had and wasn’t using. You can buy the material with a coupon at JoAnns or if you want to make a bunch with a set of jersey sheets from Walmart for under $20! Here it goes.
1. I first lay out the sheet flat and fold it over so I will be cutting the top and bottom layer at once. I traced just directly around it with a pen except leave an extra 1/2 inch on the bottom.
Found at a thrift store for $3 because it was 50% off day. It was a little too short because of the high waist band. I didn’t want to just add lace to the bottom or a stripe of material as I have seen typically. So, i decided to try to something else. For $3 I knew if i totally messed up it would be fine. You’ve got to start somewhere folks… I decided to take off the waistband unpick a pleat and sew on a wider waistband so I could wear it lower on my hips to give it length. It worked! I wore it to church Sunday, too. 🙂
I have been dreaming of getting my girls some of these… but alas the price tag is a lot more than I want to pay. So, I found these cute basic tops in the women’s section, measured my daughter’s shoulders width, cut, and serged away. Yes! I was a little nervous about it but they turned out great. I want to make some purple coats next.
Note to self: use the same color of thread next time as the coat, it just looks more finished. 🙂